Based on a Paula Deen recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/3 tsp soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups shredded zucchini or apple
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or macadamia nuts
- 4 Tbsp minced candied ginger
Mix flour, soda, baking powder and salt together. Whisk eggs with sugar,oil and vanilla and add to flour. Stir in zucchini, nuts and ginger but do not overmix. Bake at 350 for 50 – 60 minutes. (Oil and line large glass loaf pan with parchment)
- 2 tsp yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup rolled oats (or sub 1/2 cup with a ground whole grain such as bulgur, flax, barley, 7 grain cereal)
- 4 cups flour + more for kneading
- olive oil
- Proof yeast with honey and warm water.
- Beat butter, sugar, egg and molasses together in bowl of mixer.
- Affix dough hook and add 3 cups of the flour, the yeast, salt, oats and grains and mix well.
- Gradually add more flour to make a soft dough that cleans the sides of the bowl when mixing.
- Knead for 10 minutes, adding more flour if too sticky.
- Coat the dough with olive oil, cover with a tea towel and leave to rise until doubled (about 2 hours)
- Butter two loaf pans, shape into two loaves, cover and let rise until doubled in size again (about 1 hour)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place a pan half full of hot water on the bottom rack to help the bread rise more and produce a crunchy top.
- Bake for 40 – 50 minutes until golden and hollow sounding when tapped.
- Remove from the oven, let sit in the pans 15 – 20 minutes, then remove to a rack to finish cooling.
An alternative to hummus
1 cup red lentils
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp chilli powder
Rinse lentils, soak in water for 30 minutes,and drain. Cover with water and cook for about 30 minutes or until tender. Drain.
Heat the oil and cook onion until softened but not browned. Stir in the garlic, turmeric and cumin and cook 1 minute. Process together with the lentils, cilantro, lemon juice and chilli powder until smooth. Add salt to taste. Store in the refrigerator.
Serve at room temperature with crisply fried poppadom, crackers or pita chips for dipping.
3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup oil
1-2 tsp. grainy mustard
1 tsp. honey
A delicious casserole or open-faced sandwich – from Martha Stewart
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- olive oil
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 2 cups warmed tomato sauce
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated or thinly sliced
Beat eggs with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Dip eggplant in egg, then in breadcrumbs and place on an oiled baking sheet. Bake at 425F until golden and tender, 15 to 20 minutes, turning once.
For casserole: Layer eggplant slices in a dish with the tomato sauce, cover with cheese and bake until heated through and browning on top.
For sandwich, split bread lengthwise, and place cut side up on a baking sheet. Press gently in the center to create a well and add tomato sauce. Place eggplant on top and cover with cheese. Return to the oven and bake until cheese is browned in spots, 6 to 8 minutes.
1 cup rice
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 Tbsp sugar
2 green onions
1/2 English cucumber
1/2 lb cooked crab meat or shrimp
1 Tbsp mayo
salt to taste
toasted sesame seeds
Cook the rice and spread it out while hot on a cookie sheet. Heat the vinegar and sugar together to dissolve, then pour it over the rice and toss to coat.
When cool, mix the rice, grated carrot, sliced green onions and diced cucumber and divide it among 4 bowls or plates. Mix the seafood with mayonnaise and spoon it on top of the rice. Add slices of avocado and sprinkle with sesame seeds and cilantro.