Lightly spray or oil a large bowl and measure 8 cups of puffed wheat into the bowl.
Combine in a saucepan:
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
Cook until bubbling and smooth, then remove from the heat and add 1 tsp vanilla. Pour over puffed wheat.and stir to coat evenly. Press into an ungreased 9 x 13-inch pan. Cut into squares when cool.
For a variation, use 7 cups puffed wheat and 1 cup salted peanuts
1 cup red lentils
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp chilli powder
salt to taste
poppadum or crackers
Soak the lentils in cold water for 20-30 minutes. Remove any gritty bits and drain. Cover with water and cook for about 30 minutes until tender. Drain.
Heat the oil, add the onion and cook until softened. Stir in the garlic, turmeric and cumin and heat gently. Add to the lentils, cilantro, lemon juice and chilli powder in food processor and process until smooth. Add salt to taste. Store in the refrigerator. Serve at room temperature.
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 1 inch chopped ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
Spin in a blender or food processor. Thin with water for desired consistency.
Toss with shredded Napa cabbage, sections of grapefruit and the juice, sesame seeds, and finely diced jalapeño
Or use on a salad of quinoa with sweet peppers, shredded carrots, cabbage, daikon, celery.
Garnish with chopped peanuts, sesame seeds, green onions, a squeeze of lime
Makes one 12-inch crust. Easily doubled for 2 pizzas or freeze half for another day.
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- olive oil
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm water and let proof. Measure flour, salt and 1 tsp olive oil into processor.
- With machine running, pour liquid through small feed tube. Process until dough cleans sides of bowl and forms a ball, then process for 30 seconds more to knead. Remove and coat dough with 1 teaspoon olive oil in a bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes. Prepare toppings.
- Stretch out dough to fit pan, add cheese and toppings and bake at 425F until bubbling and golden.
Slice a baguette in 1/4 inch slices. Brush lightly on one (or both) sides with olive oil, sprinkle with salt. Bake on a cookie sheet until pale golden in color at 325 F for 15 to 20 minutes, turning over once midway.