chicken breasts or pieces
1 cup crushed corn flakes, Special K, Just Right…
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
salt and pepper
Mix cereal with sesame seeds and seasonings. Coat chicken with mayonnaise and coat well with cereal mix. Bake at 350F for 40 – 50 minutes depending on the size of pieces. Works well for chicken fingers (reduce baking time)
1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp dried thyme
1 1/2 tbsp coriander
1 Tbsp salt
3/4 tsp allspice
1 1/2 tsp pepper
2 bay leaves (grind in coffee grinder with the salt)
Mix and store in a jar.
Coat pieces of chicken and roast or grill.
Try it on pork tenderloin, chops or loin roast
boneless, skinless chicken breasts
sliced ham (Serrano, rosemary, honey) or other cured meat or sausage
cream cheese and/or mozzarella
fresh herbs (basil, thyme, rosemary)
bread crumbs, butter
Pound the chicken breasts to 1/4 inch thickness, cover with ham, herbs and a strip of cheese and roll up. Secure with toothpicks. Dust with paprika (optional).
Alternately add 3-4 asparagus spears in each roll.
Brown in butter and then bake in 375 oven until 165 internal temp, or cover with buttered crumbs and bake.
Adapted from Holland America Cruises. Adjust quantities to suit your taste. Serves 4-6 over rice (which you prepare first).
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 – 2 Tbsp Thai Panang red curry paste
- 1 – 2 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1 – 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced (sub shrimp or pork)
- Thai basil, coarsely chopped
- Vegetables ( any combination of the following in 1 inch dice)
- green, red, yellow pepper
- snow peas
- Thai basil
- Green onion
- Fresh lime
•Measure and dice everything before you turn on the heat!
. In a wok or large skillet heat curry paste, peanut butter and sugar. Add coconut milk and soy sauce.
• Add meat and cook 3 -5 minutes
• Add vegetables and basil and cook just until tender crisp. Add shrimp last, if using, and cook just until pink.
• Spoon into serving bowls over rice or rice noodles.
• Top with chopped peanuts, onions, basil, cilantro.
• Squeeze fresh lime over top.
Great for beef tenderloin, sirloin or flank, pork tenderloin or chops, chicken pieces
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped ginger
Mix and marinate meat for several hours or overnight. Grill, watching carefully and turning to caramelize but not burn the sugar, until desired doneness (thermometer works well here). Rest 10 minutes before slicing,to seal juices. Garnish with chopped green onion and cilantro.
From the Calgary Herald, circa 1995
1 lb chicken , 2 inch pieces
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cayenne or to taste
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp coriander
3/4 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp oil
black pepper and salt to taste
2 tsp minced ginger root
2 tsp minced garlic
Mix chicken pieces with marinade and refrigerate 1 hour. Bake on a parchment lined pan at 350 for 20 – 25 minutes
1 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup cream
1/2 cup milk + another 1/2 cup
1 cup diced tomatoes with 1/2 cup juice
1/4 tsp cayenne or to taste
3 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp curry powder
Combine sauce ingredients and simmer about 30 minutes. Cool slightly and blend the sauce until smooth in a food processor. Place sauce back on medium heat and thicken with about 1 Tbsp of cornstarch if too thin. Add the other 1/2 cup of milk. Add chicken pieces and cook for 10 minutes longer. As with other saucy, spicy dishes, this is better made a day ahead of serving. Heat gently. Serve with rice or naan, garnish with cilantro.
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to an even 1/2 – ¾ inch thickness
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup white or green onion, chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can yellow corn, drained
- 1-2 cups cooked rice or quinoa
- ¼ cup (or more) cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 4-6 flour tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- salsa, sour cream, hot sauce, ranch dressing, fresh limes for serving
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and 1 or 2 tsp of the taco seasoning.
- Drizzle a skillet with oil and cook the chicken for about 5-6 minutes on each side until just cooked through. Set aside and keep warm.
- Add red pepper and onions to the pan with more oil if needed, and saute for 1-3 minutes until tender crisp
- Add black beans, corn, and rice to the pan, sprinkle with remaining taco seasoning, and stir for 4-5 minutes. Taste, and season if needed. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Place a large scoop of the rice mixture in the center of each tortilla, then top with chicken, sliced or diced, and avocado slices. Roll up burritos and secure with toothpicks. Serve with your favorite condiments.
- Variation: Serve as a salad on top of lettuce, or with nachos