Karen made this for a Mother’s Day Brunch with whipped cream and fresh raspberries. Over the top yummy and easy. Can be made the night before a special morning breakfast. I have made this using panettone and eggnog at Christmas (omit orange juice, milk and white sugar, use 1 1/2 cups eggnog with 3 eggs)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 12 (3/4 inch thick) slicesFrench bread
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Stir together brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup. Pour into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish, and spread evenly. Sprinkle pecans over the sugar mixture. Arrange the bread slices in the dish so they are in a snug single layer.
- Whisk together the orange zest, orange juice, milk, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, egg whites, and eggs. Pour over the bread, pressing on the bread slices to help absorb the liquid. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour, or overnight.
- Let stand for 20 minutes at room temperature, then bake at 350 for 35 minutes until golden brown. Dust with confectioners’ sugar (optional) or add fruit and cream.