- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix all ingredients well in a food processor. Pour into a parchment lined 9 X 13 pan and bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes until just set. Cool.
This is lighter than the traditional version with dates. Adapted from Gordon Ramsay’s recipe. (Baking by weight is foolproof)
110g brown sugar
8g baking powder
1 ripe banana, mashed
Cream butter and sugar, add egg, add dry ingredients and mashed banana.
Spoon into lined pan.
Bake 10 minutes at 350, then reduce heat to 170 and bake another 30 minutes or until tests dry with a skewer.
85g corn syrup
120mL whipping cream
Boil sugar, butter and syrup until deep caramel colored. Add cream. Serve warm over pudding with unsweetened whipped cream or ice cream if desired. Can be reheated.
Lightly spray or oil a large bowl and measure 8 cups of puffed wheat into the bowl.
Combine in a saucepan:
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
Cook until bubbling and smooth, then remove from the heat and add 1 tsp vanilla. Pour over puffed wheat.and stir to coat evenly. Press into an ungreased 9 x 13-inch pan. Cut into squares when cool.
For a variation, use 7 cups puffed wheat and 1 cup salted peanuts
2 cups raspberries, fresh or frozen
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
Heat berries and sugar together until the sugar is dissolved. Crush with a spoon, put through a sieve and press to remove the seeds, add lemon juice, cool and store in refrigerator or freezer.
Serve over ice cream, cheesecake, fruit
The restaurant is now closed, but we all remember the muffins. Makes 18 large, or 30 small
– 3/4 cup vegetable oil
– 1 cup brown sugar
– 3 eggs
– 2 cups plain yogurt
– 2 tsp vanilla
– 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
– 3 cups flour (white and whole-wheat)
– 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
– 1 tsp soda
– 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 2 cups fresh or frozen berries (blueberries, raspberries)
– zest of lemon or orange (optional)
1. Beat oil, sugar, add eggs together. Stir in yogurt.
2. Combine dry ingredients, add raspberries, fold dry ingredients into wet without over mixing.
3. Spoon (1/4 cup) into parchment muffin cups and bake 20 to 25 minutes at 375F, until golden.
My variations: use chopped fruit such as apples, pears or rhubarb, sub fruit flavored yogurt (decrease sugar by 1/4 cup), add 1/2 cup chopped nuts.
Based on a Paula Deen recipe
Mix flour, soda, baking powder and salt together. Whisk eggs with sugar,oil and vanilla and add to flour. Stir in zucchini, nuts and ginger but do not overmix. Bake at 350 for 50 – 60 minutes. (Oil and line large glass loaf pan with parchment)